May 20, 2013

Recipe: Cold-Brew Coffee

I was never a coffee person in the past but now, what a difference a cup of coffee makes in my productivity and energy level throughout the day. Some days I crave hot coffee but on the days where I need a bigger jolt, I go for cold-brew coffee. I drink my morning cup of coffee black and make it very strong with a ridiculous coffee concentrate to water ratio that I do not recommend... The cold-brew method is so simple, why spend money buying it when you can make it yourself?!


Cold-Brew Coffee
4 "6 oz" cups

Ingredients
French press
8 tbsp fresh coffee, coarse-ground
3 cups filtered water, room temperature

Instructions
Put ground coffee in French press and pour water on top.
Stir to combine well. Cover and leave to soak for ~12 hours at room temperature.
Press down on the French press and slowly pour coffee through filter into a Mason jar. This is the coffee concentrate.
Keep refrigerated and will keep for at least one week. To serve, dilute to preference. A 1:2 ration is common (1/3 coffee concentrate to 2/3 water). Add milk or sugar to preference.