July 28, 2013

Recipe: Chili

For staples like chili or quickbreads, I'm always looking for that one perfect recipe that I can rely on for a go-to meal or snack, something I can rely on to provide me with excellent results. Therefore I've tested a fair share of different chili recipes, looking to form the perfect recipe, and I finally have one!

I loosely based my recipe on Smitten Kitchen's, subbing out kidney beans for pinto beans (I've made the recipe using kidney beans and I prefer the softer texture and mellow flavor of pinto beans) and omitting some of the seasonings completely. I'm sure the original recipe is delicious but I always want to keep my ingredients to a minimum and use ingredients that I'm guaranteed to have in my pantry at any given day.

The result is an earthy, deep, smooth, and semi-spicy chili that screams comfort food. A bowl of this on a rainy winter day would be perfect. I like to top a bowl of chili with avocado slices, cheddar cheese, and crushed tortilla chips for the crunch. On the side, I like more tortilla chips with salsa or a big hunk of cornbread to dip into the chili and soak up all the liquid.


Chili
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen
Serves 3-4

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
½ large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup beef broth
1 packet chili powder
dash of crushed red pepper
1 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15½-ounce can pinto beans, drained
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
optional toppings and sides: avocado, cheddar cheese, sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, tortilla chips, cornbread

Instructions
Place a large French oven over medium-high heat.
Add ground beef and cook until browned, ~5 minutes.
Add the onion and cook until translucent, ~3 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Gradually add the broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the French oven.
Stir in the chili powder packet and crushed red pepper. Add tomatoes and stir well.
Let boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the beans, salt, and vinegar, and stir well.
Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes more.
If there is too much liquid, turn up heat to high and leave uncovered so the liquid reduces to preference.
Place in bowl and garnish with avocado slices, cheddar cheese, and crushed tortilla chips.
Serve hot with tortilla chips and salsa or cornbread.