December 21, 2011

Recipe: White Cheddar Yogurt Cornbread

Cornbread is one of my favorite comfort foods and there are few things better than hot cornbread straight out of the oven. I ate the cornbread with split pea soup (recipe to come) and it was the perfect lunch on a chilly day.

I really enjoy baking but because I don't really like sweet food, I like to bake more savory things. This cornbread recipe is not only delicious, but also really adaptable because you can use whatever cheese you have in your kitchen. I modified the recipe according to what I had in my kitchen, using butter and sharp cheddar cheese instead of Earth Balance and white cheddar. I really want to one day own a Le Creuset Skillet so I can make skillet cornbread, but until then, I will continue to make my cornbread in a baking pan.


White Cheddar Yogurt Cornbread
Adapted from Daily Garnish
Serves 8-10

Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp + pinch salt
1/8 cayenne pepper
1 cup Greek yogurt (I used Trader Joe's 0%)
2 medium eggs
1/4 cup Earth Balance (I used butter)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup shredded white cheddar (I used sharp cheddar but feel free to experiment with any cheese)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, corn kernels, baking soda, sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, and cayenne pepper in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine Greek yogurt, 2 eggs, almond milk, and butter.
Next, shred the cheese if it isn't already.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, and then fold in almost all of the cheese, reserving just a little bit to the side.
Line the baking pan with parchment paper or spray with oil spray. Spread the batter into the pan and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Also sprinkle the top with a tiny extra pinch of salt.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to keep an eye on the cornbread because you don't want to overcook it and make it dry!
Take baking pan out of the oven and let cool before slicing it. Pair it with a soup of your choice.