February 13, 2014

Eiji Part 1

This might be my favorite Japanese restaurant in the city! I've been really digging the simplicity and refinement of all things Japanese lately and I just want to buy all new kitchen and dinnerware that embodies Japanese minimalism. We made a reservation for 5:30 pm thinking it'd be crowded but nope, it was pretty empty and so mellow. I hope this place doesn't get hyped up because it was SO nice not to have to wait an hour in line for food as per usual.

I like to try new foods at restaurants so we ordered off the specials board. We started off with the Oboro tofu which is made-to-order hot and comes out with a tray of six different toppings. We then got Eggplant with Walnut Miso, Uni (my favorite!), Bottleneck Clam Nigiri, and the Chef's Choice Sushi. The eggplant was my favorite of the night. It came out steaming hot and was so so so good. I made a mental note in my head to definitely cook it at home.

Finally we ended the meal by sharing the Strawberry Mochi because it's homemade and I just had to try it. The mochi was wrapped around a fresh strawberry and a thin layer of red bean paste. It wasn't super sweet so totally up my alley. Definitely will be coming back to Eiji!

Oboro Tofu
Strawberry Mochi