February 18, 2014

New York City Part 4

Last full day in NYC!

I made it my mission to try all that I came to try. First stop, Chobani SoHo. My obsession with Chobani lives on. We shared the Hummus + Za'atar with pita chips and Mango + Avocado with tortilla chips. I really liked the hummus + za'atar and want to make it at home because it seems simple enough. I also had a fangirl moment when the CEO walked in and my sister thought I was crazy for knowing his name slash even recognizing him.

Hummus + Za'atar with pita chips
Mango + Avocado with tortilla chips

I came to NYC with a crucial goal: to try the Momofuku Pork Buns. I heart the ones from Ippudo so I had to compare. I went to Momofuku Noodle Bar, sat at the bar, and enjoyed an order of pork buns. Maybe I had too high expectations but the pork buns from Ippudo are better!

Momofuku Pork Buns: pork belly, hoisin, cucumber, scallions

My sister had to go to work so I spent the day walking around the city. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and also spent a few hours at Kitchen Arts & Lectures, a foodie cookbook sanctuary. Comparable to Omnivore Books on Food in San Francisco but less fancy. They had a huge selection of cookbooks and books on food and while I wanted to get new cookbooks, I had to control myself.


For dinner my sister met me at Momofuku Ko! It only seats 12 people a night so making reservations at this restaurants is ridiculous, where seats are booked literally within milliseconds. So we were super excited to get two spots and it was by far the best dining experience I've had. No photographs are allowed inside the restaurant so I'm guessing there were around 13 courses. And there's no advance menu so customers don't know what they'll get that night. I could have looked up some dishes but I really wanted to relish in the surprise. The menu was definitely seafood heavy so good thing I like fish! My favorites of the night were the dumplings in a delicious broth, soft-cooked egg over onion soubise with caviar & potato chips, the homemade potato bread with smoked butter (soooo good), and the shaved foie gras with lychee, riesling jelly, & pine nut brittle. The foie gras was a crazy melt-in-your-mouth experience.