February 5, 2014

Zuni Café

Finally got to try the legendary Zuni Café! Knowing in advance that the famous roasted chicken with warm bread salad takes an hour to cook in the oven, we made reservations for early Sunday evening. I requested a table near the kitchen because I always enjoy watching the kitchen staff prepare the food. 

We started with the (also famous) Caesar Salad, which I really wanted to try so that I can learn to make better caesar dressing. But the dressing was almost too tart so I might stick with my own recipe for now... The roasted chicken took around 40 minutes rather than the approximately one hour notice and while the chicken was delicious, the warm bread salad was the best part of the whole dish. Also, the menu says "chicken for two" but we found that it could easily fill 3-4 people. I took home leftovers and am excited to eat it again, yay.

Tasty but not sure if it's worth the hype. If you like roasted chicken, you'll obviously like Zuni's roasted chicken. So now it's my turn to try and make the chicken at home following Judy Rodger's recipe. Stay tuned.

P.S. The staff were super nice so they win on that.

Zuni Caesar Salad
Chicken for two roasted in the brick oven; warm bread salad with scallions, garlic, dandelion greens, dried currants, and pine nuts