February 1, 2014

B★Star Bar

My first time trying Burmese food!

I've never heard of Burmese food until I came to San Francisco and kept hearing about how great Burma Superstar is. I attempted to get in the door at Burma Superstar but over an hour wait just wasn't going to happen for me. So my friend and I walked less than two blocks down to Burma Superstar's more Asian Fusion little sister restaurant, B★Star Bar. With virtually no wait and even the option to make reservations or call ahead and put a name down, I was already a fan.

The Tea Leaf Salad was a must order and our waitress recommended the Kau Soi and Lamb Curry. The salad was amazing. I'm big on food texture and love crunch (i.e. crunchy peanut butter, granola, cereal...), and this salad was unlike anything I've ever had before. The waiter even explained the ingredients and mixed it up for us tableside.

The Kau Soi is very rich and is basically a noodle dish with coconut and chicken. I've only had lamb maybe two times before and never really liked it so I was pleasantly surprised by how tender the lamb in the Lamb Curry was. I'm also big on coconut rice so win! I also ordered a Lychee Martini but the order got lost and I got a Lychee Smoothie instead... which was good but not what I ordered. I received the martini at the end though so I got to try it. Very lychee-y...

Left so full.