January 13, 2014

Recipe: Roasted Broccolini, Kale, and Chickpea Salad with Ricotta

I went to one of my favorite bookstores in the city, Green Apple Books, this past weekend and bought a new cookbook! It's called Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite and I read rave reviews about its recipes. I'm trying to eat more vegetables in creative ways so I figured the cookbook is a worthy investment. I'm a sucker for photographs of each recipe so I'm a little sad that this book has minimal photographs. But the first recipe I tried out is the following recipe and I liked it a lot!


Roasted Broccoli, Arugula, and Chickpea Salad with Ricotta
Serves 2-4

Ingredients
1 bunch broccoli, cut into thin, long florets
1 bunch arugula or kale, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
¼ olive oil
sea salt and black pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges
8-oz (250 grams) fresh ricotta cheese
pinch red pepper flakes
finishing oil for drizzling

Instructions
Preheat the boiler to high.
Toss the broccoli, kale, chickpeas, and garlic with the olive oil. Season lightly with salt and place on baking sheet.
Broil baking sheet, tossing halfway through cooking, until the kale is crispy and the broccoli just tender and charred but still bright green, about 5 minutes.
Squeeze the juice from two lemon wedges all over the top and toss together.
Divide between two to four small plates and top each with a dollop of ricotta.
Sprinkle the ricotta with black pepper and red pepper flakes and drizzle each place with finishing oil.
Serve warm or at room temperature, with more lemon wedges for squeezing over the top.
Note: I used regular old broccoli and arugula instead of kale. If using arugula, mix it in at the last minute of broil.