March 27, 2014

Recipe: Orange Pan-Glazed Tempeh

I've wanted to make this recipe since it first appeared on 101 Cookbooks in 2009. That's more than 5 years ago! One of the reasons it's taken me so long to make this recipe is because I actually like to eat raw tempeh. I like the true nutty flavor! One of my favorite ways to eat tempeh in the past has been to make a tempeh, sharp white cheddar cheese, and blueberry jam sandwich. It sounds like an odd combination I know but it's surprisingly really good... Also I just never buy oranges on my own and to be honest the only reason I made this recipe now is because I had an overabundance of oranges sitting in my fridge that needed to be eaten.

I stuck fairly close to the original recipe except that I used curry powder instead of ground coriander and left out the cilantro. Despite the changes to the original recipe, the result was still fantastic. The tempeh glaze is a bit sweet and quite citrusy but served over a lightly dressed salad or over brown rice, it ends up balancing well.


Orange Pan-Glazed Tempeh
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
Serves 2

Ingredients
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (3-4 large juicy oranges)
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 tsp soy sauce
1½ tbsp mirin
2 tsp maple syrup
½ tsp curry powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 8-oz tempeh
2 tbsp olive oil
½ lime juice
handful of cilantro leaves (optional)

Instructions
Put the orange juice in a small bowl. Add the ginger, soy sauce, mirin, maple syrup, curry powder, and garlic. Mix together and set aside.
Cut the tempeh into half widthwise and into triangles (yields ~16 pieces).
Put the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the tempeh and fry for 5 minutes, or until golden underneath.
Turn and cook the other side for another 5 minutes, or until golden.
Pour the orange juice mixture into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to a lovely thick glaze.
Turn the tempeh once more during this time and spoon the sauce over the tempeh from time to time.
Serve the tempeh drizzled with any remaining sauce and a squeeze of lime, with the cilantro scattered on top. Serve tempeh over brown rice or salad.