November 24, 2013

Treasure Island Flea Market and The Chairman Truck

To keep with the mellow weekend theme and because the weather was way too beautiful to spend indoors, two friends and I went to the Treasure Island Flea. I had never been before to Treasure Island, let alone know where it was, and so I was pretty excited. It was pretty easy to get to via bus. We didn't find anything interesting to buy and ended up just getting lunch from the many food trucks and sitting by the water overlooking the bay. It was so nice to eat, get some sun, and just talk.

I've been wanting to try The Chairman Truck for a long time now because I've missed the gloriousness of pork buns since the time I visited New York. I decided to get a variety of baos so that I could try different ones: Pork Belly with turmeric pickled daikon & green shiso, Coca-Cola Braised Pork with savoy cabbage & preserved yellow mustard seeds, and Spicy Chicken with toasted sesame puree & pickled carrots-cucumber & cilantro. My favorite was the braised pork bao and while good, it was nowhere nearly as good as Ippudo's pork buns.