June 25, 2014

Korea Land

I'm in a weird post-Korea funk. My visit to Korea was one of the best trips I have been on yet. It had been 12 years since I'd last visited and my memory of it in 2002 is foggy. So this time, I truly made an effort to remember and store all the sights, smells, and tastes of Korea. Also, who knows when I'll have another opportunity to travel and spend an entire 2 weeks with my mom, just the two of us. One of the highlights was also having the opportunity to reconnect with family members whose faces I've forgotten. Despite not having seen some of them in 12 years, it all felt natural and easy. I also spoke exclusively in Korean for most of the trip so my language capabilities have also improved. I found myself really connecting with and embracing the Korean culture on this particular trip and I can't wait to return.

First, the landscape took me by surprise as I didn't realize that Korea has so many mountains. It was breathtaking how lush and full of trees they are. The streets were also wider than I remembered and so so so clean. I rarely saw trash on the ground but the smog in the air is really bad. It made my throat hurt and I didn't see a clear sky, clouds, or stars the entire time. Also, everyone was so friendly and kind, which my aunt tells me is all a recent change in Korea. And the food, oh the food! I thought I knew all there is to know about Korean food but I learned so much more, especially about regional cuisine. I found an amazing restaurant that serves traditional Korean food, tried subway waffles filled with cream and apple syrup, ate a freshly made hotteok, and best of all, tried poop bread! I'm also obsessed with daechucha, or jujube tea, that I had at a tea house, and have also come to the conclusion that sweet potato pizza is the best kind of pizza there is. Some things I knew beforehand but still found quirky about Korea were: wet towels at restaurants, hole-in-the ground bathrooms, shoes must be taken off in dressing rooms, servers don't wait for you to browse the menu, abundance of drinking water everywhere, ear cover protectors included in hair dyeing kits, no tax, no tip, napkins in tissues boxes at restaurants, and lots more but I can't remember the rest. Rather than post a series of photos from my trip since most are all on Instagram, here's just a few of the highlights.