June 8, 2014

Recipe: Chana Masala

Since I'm going out of town for a few weeks, I've been trying to eat up all the food I already have instead of buying new items. I've done too good of a job though because the only things left in my pantry were a can of chickpeas and a can of diced tomatoes, along with a few sad looking baby carrots in the fridge. After some thinking, I decided to try making chana masala, a dish that I've had many times before but never really tried making myself. And how fast and easy it was! I just winged it with the few ingredients I had so think of the following recipe as just a base. Feel free to adapt it however you'd like!


Chana Masala
Serves ~3

Ingredients
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 carrot, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp curry powder
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
¼ cup water
¼ tsp salt

Instructions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add carrot and garlic and saute until browned, ~5 minutes.
Add the curry powder and cook carrot mixture for a minute or two.
Add the chickpeas and tomatoes, stirring often.
Add water and let boil. Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer uncovered for ~10 minutes.
Stir in salt and adjust to taste.
Serve hot over brown rice!