June 4, 2014

Recipe: Miso-Glazed Chicken

Let's talk miso today.

When I went to Eiji a few months ago and had the Eggplant with Walnut Miso, I was blown away! The eggplant was melty hot and caramelized. In order to recreate the dish at home, I needed miso paste. I went to a neighborhood Japanese market for what I thought would be a simple shopping trip. But I was faced with more than ten different types of miso that were all labeled in Japanese. After some research, I picked out a small tub of shiro miso. Shiro miso is also known as mild or white miso because it is fermented for a shorter time and therefore is lower in salt than darker varieties. Shiro miso is also the most versatile type for most cooking purposes.

I used a recipe for nasu dengaku to create the marinade, but instead of brushing it on eggplant, I decided to make a miso chicken recipe instead. It turned out awesome and I've made it for dinner for the past two nights. Smitten with everything Japanese lately, this miso chicken recipe adds a great Japanese flavor to a plain bowl of rice and vegetables. The recipe is super simple and with miso, a little goes a long way.


Miso-Glazed Chicken
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp shiro miso
1 tbsp sugar
½ tbsp sesame oil
2 chicken breast tenders, chopped
sprinkle toasted sesame seeds
diced green onion, for garnish

Instructions
In a bowl, mix mirin, shiro miso, sugar, and sesame oil until smooth.
Add the chopped chicken breast to the bowl, covering it evenly. Marinate for ~10 minutes or longer.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add a tiny bit of olive oil and add the chicken, then cover the skillet and cook until the chicken is deeply browned and the marinade is caramelized.
Once chicken is fully cooked on both sides, turn off heat and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and diced green onion.
Serve with plain rice and choice of vegetable sides. Enjoy hot!